Cancelling Your Vehicle Registration in Alberta

Cancelling Your Vehicle Registration

Some of the most common reasons car owners need to cancel their vehicle registration are a stolen plate, or they’re moving out of the province or country. To cancel your vehicle registration, you’ll need to fill out a Licence Plate/Parking Placard Cancellation Form and visit the registry or send your cancellation request by mail.

If you’re replacing your existing vehicle with a new one, you are not required to cancel your vehicle registration. If the registration is under your name, you can transfer the registration and licence plate to your new car.

What You Need to Cancel Your Vehicle Registration

If you’re cancelling your vehicle registration in person, you’ll need to bring:

  • An acceptable form of ID (license or passport)
  • Your licence plate
  • Your current registration papers
  • Payment for the registry agent service fee (see the Alberta Registry Agent Product Catalogue for the most current fees)

If you’re cancelling your vehicle registration by mail, you’ll need to send:

  • A written request signed by all registrants shown on the current vehicle registration certificate
  • A photocopy of your driver’s licence with your current address so the refund can be mailed to you
  • A written statement issued by the jurisdiction verifying that you are surrendering your plate
  • The registry agent service fee by cheque or money order

If you have moved out of Alberta, you can return your licence plate to any registry agent office in person or by mail. Your file will be updated on the motor vehicle registry systems to reflect that you no longer possess the licence plate.

Cancelling a Lost or Stolen Licence Plate in Alberta

If your plate has been lost or stolen, you’ll need to obtain a police report before cancelling your vehicle registration in person or by mail. You can replace your lost or stolen licence plate at the registry once a police report has been filed.

You can report your stolen plate to the following local police services:

Police agency Phone
RCMP 1-855-565-7555
Blood Tribe Police 403-737-3800
Calgary Police Service 403-266-1234
Camrose Police Service 780-672-4444
Edmonton Police Service 780-423-4567
Lacombe Police Service 403-782-3279
Lakeshore Police Service 587-749-0208
Lethbridge Police Service 403-328-4444
Medicine Hat Police Service 403-529-8481
Taber Police Service 403-223-8991
Tsuu T’ina Police Service 403-271-3777

Vehicle Registration Cancellation Fees & Refund

Based on the time left on your vehicle registration, you may receive a refund when you cancel it. If you are eligible for a refund, you will receive a cheque in the mail in 4-6 weeks. Please note:

  • A $10 cancellation fee will be deducted from the refund
  • If you have not received your fund, your address on the motor vehicle systems may be outdated
  • Your refund will be applied to any outstanding fines that remind unpaid
  • If you have not received your refund after 6 weeks, you can contact Service Alberta Refund Inquiries at or Service
  • Alberta Financial Reporting and Policy, Motor Vehicle Refund at (780) 422-1761 ext. 6

Whether you need to cancel your vehicle registration, transfer your current registration to a new car, or have any questions about registering your vehicle, we can help. Contact Riverbend Registry or visit us at 532 Riverbend Square NW in Edmonton.