Riverbend Registry Frequently Asked Questions

General Registry Information

At Riverbend Registry, we provide the following registry services:

  • Driver Licensing
  • Vehicle Registration
  • Personal Property
  • Birth Certificates
  • Alberta Land Titles
  • Vital Statistics
  • Corporate Registry
  • Insurance Services
  • Authorization for Vehicle Service

We also offer additional registry services, including:

  • Driver Abstracts
  • Fine Payments
  • Ignition Interlock Application
  • Alberta Identification Cards
  • Notary Public (By appointment only)
  • Commissioner for Oaths (By appointment only)

Our hours of operation are:

Monday - Friday: 9:00AM-6:00PM
Saturday: 9:00AM-4:00PM

We are closed on Sundays and all statutory holidays.

No, we offer walk-in services for all registry needs with the exception of Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths services. If you require either of these two services, please call us at (780) 437-7355.

Booking a Road Test

You will need to bring your Motor Vehicle Identification (MVID) number - this is the 9-digit number found near the barcode of your Class 7 learner’s licence, a completed and passed knowledge test validated by an authorized Alberta Registry Agent, and a passed medical (within 6 months).

All outstanding fines owed to the Government of Alberta must be paid before you can book a road test. Before you book your road test online, verify your eligibility or check with us at Riverbend Registry.

You must ensure your vehicle meets safety standards for road tests. If you cannot provide a vehicle for your road test, there are rental vehicles available. You can add a rental vehicle for your road test at the time of booking.

Your road test has a maximum number of points you can get before you fail. For Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 licenses, you will need less than 50 points to pass. For Class 5, 5 Advanced, 6, or 6 Advanced, you will need less than 75 points to pass. You will receive an automatic fail on your road test if you endanger a pedestrian or another driver, drive unsafely, or break traffic laws.

Vehicle Registration

To register a car for the first time, you will need to bring:

  • Valid, government-issued identification
  • The original Bill of Sale or Lease Agreement
  • For a brand new vehicle, the original New Vehicle Information Statement given to you by the dealership
  • Proof of valid insurance with current Alberta address

To renew your car registration, you will need to bring:

  • Valid, government-issued identification
  • Proof of valid insurance (expired insurance or insurance that has not started yet will not be accepted)

To register an out-of-province vehicle, you will need to bring:

  • An approved out-of-province inspection, which must be dated within the last 14 days from the time of inspection
  • Valid, government-issued identification
  • Bill of Sale or proof of registration from the other province
  • Proof of valid Alberta insurance

Drivers License

Class 3, 5, 6, and 7 drivers licenses can be renewed online as long as your current drivers license is not expired and you are renewing without any changes. To renew online, you will need:

  • A verified account
  • Valid and current drivers license
  • Credit card (Visa, MC, or Amex)
  • Current web browser

If you require a name or address change, you must renew in person at a registry office. Bring proof of name change and proof of current address, such as a recent utility bill addressed to you.

If your license expired more than 6 years ago, you’ll need to provide:

  • Proof of status in Canada (Birth certificate, passport, or work permit)
  • Proof of residency (A utility bill addressed to you)

If your drivers license expired more than 3 years ago, you will need to pass both the written and road tests again to obtain a new license.

If you have a medical condition (this is verified by the medical code “C” that appears on your license), are 75 years of age or older, or you hold a professional license Class 1, 2, or 4, you must bring a completed medical form.

To apply for a Class 7 Learners License in Alberta, you will need to bring:

  • Two valid identification documents, one with your date of birth
  • Proof of status in Canada (Birth certificate, passport, or work permit)
  • Proof of Alberta residency

If you have an existing drivers license from another province, you will need the following to get an Alberta drivers license:

  • Proof of Canadian Residency
  • Proof of Alberta Residency
  • Your existing out-of-province drivers license

No, Alberta no longer sends vehicle renewal reminders in the mail. You can sign up for email or text renewal reminders online at Alberta’s Renewal Reminder Service.

Birth Certificate

Each child born in Alberta must be registered before you can apply for a Birth Certificate. The Birth Registration is left with the hospital where the child was born and forwarded from there to Vital Statistics within 10 days of the child’s date of birth. The Birth Registration must be completed accurately as the information recorded is used to order a Birth Certificate. You can apply for a Birth Certificate in person at Riverbend Registry.

You can order a replacement Birth Certificate in person at Riverbend Registry.

An Alberta Birth Certificate costs $20 for the government fee. All Alberta registry agents are authorized to charge a service fee.

Alberta Birth Certificates are typically processed within 2-3 business days once Vital Statistics receives the application. The process may take longer if there is additional information required.