Alberta Driver Licensing

Are you looking to renew your driver’s license, have an out-of-province license, want to get your learner’s permit or simply need a drivers abstract? At Riverbend Registry, we provide you with exceptional service to make it easy to get you back on the road or to maintain your daily driving without any hassles or unexpected fees. We offer you a wide selection of drivers licensing services so you can do all that you need in one visit. Yes, a one-stop shop on your lunch break rush to get your registration sticker on your plate before the deadline. Or, you’re finally ready to take that road test.

Luckily, we’re open 7 days a week; so if the urge hits—get registered, take a road test, do whatever you need—we’re here to help.

book a road testOnline renewal

Let’s get started with the basics.

Female Driving a Car

Need a Driver Hand Book?

Be prepared and download your copy of the Alberta Driver handbook below. For more information regarding Alberta Driver’s License click on the Service Alberta link below or Contact Us.

Get Your Handbook Here

Driver & Motor Vehicles

Contact Us Today!

Knowledge Tests

While there are seven different classes of driver’s licenses that you can obtain in Alberta, the one requirement for almost every class of driving (except class 5 and air brake endorsement) is the knowledge test. It may seem straightforward to some, but what exactly is a knowledge test?

A knowledge test is comprised of 30 multiple choice questions that test your understanding of Alberta traffic laws. Sounds easy enough. But in reality, you must pass this test with flying colours to be a licensed driver or you’ll be back riding your favorite bus to school or work. But, don’t worry—the test can be taken once per day as many times are you want. And, test stations have audio-assisted devices and translators available.

Practice tests and handbooks are accessible for you to study. For more details on knowledge tests, read the Alberta Services page here.

Driver’s Education

Male Gaining Knowledge of Driver Licensing

Learner’s Permit (Class 7)

A learner’s permit gives you the ability to practice driving; it’s the first step in the Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program. To obtain a learner’s permit in Alberta, you must be 14 years of age, pass a vision screen test and a knowledge test, obtain parental consent (if you’re under 18), and have valid identification. There are conditions that first time learners must meet, including being accompanied (in the passenger seat) by a fully licensed driver who is at least 18 years old.

Steps to start your learner’s permit process:

  • Read the Driver’s guide for workbooks and practice tests before you do the real test.
  • Take the knowledge test. For a small fee, you can take the knowledge test once a day until you get it right.
  • Pass a vision test at the registry.
  • Purchase your license card and get a temporary card that’s valid for 30 days. Check your mailbox for your permanent learner’s permit and start your journey to driver’s success.

Book Your Appointment | Contact Us

Car Driving Learner

Driver Licensing Test

Road Tests

You’ve passed your knowledge test and now you’re ready to hit the road. The road test is available for Class 4, Class 5 Basic (Class 5B), and Class 5 advanced (Class 5A). We make it easy to get you to driving freedom. Road Test Prep Take your time. It’s always important to learn new driving skills by practicing to be safe on the road. You won’t become a great driver overnight. Educate yourself and you’ll be more confident by the time you get to the road test.

View Resources

Re-classing Your License

If you want to drive a bus, a 3-axle-plus, a taxi, ambulance, or motorcycle, you will have to re-class your existing license, depending on the current class. If you have graduated from the GDL program, you are qualified to re-class to a Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 license. This excludes re-classing to Class 5 to Class 7. Contact us at Riverbend Registry to ask us about the requirements to re-class your license. This may include a medical report, a knowledge test, and a vision test.

Class breakdown

  • Class 1 (Professional-Any vehicle)
  • Class 2 (Professional-Bus)
  • Class 3 (3-axle plus)
  • Class 4(Professional-Taxi, Ambulance)
  • Class 5 (2-axle-Cars, Light Truck, Motor Home, Moped)
  • Class 6 (Motorcycle & Moped)
  • Class 7 (Learners-2-axel & Motorcycle & Moped)

Learn More | Contact Us!

Woman Renew Driving License

Happy Clients after Driving License

License Renewals

It’s your responsibility as a driver to go into a registry ahead of the date your license expires to renew it. Because it’s often hard to remember one, two, or even five years in advance, you can sign up with My Alberta eServices and you will received a handy reminder when your license needs a renewal. License Suspensions You may have too many demerit points or an alcohol related suspension. Whatever the case, you may qualify for the Restricted Driver’s License Program. There are eligibility requirements to be accepted into this program. More information is available here. If you need to reinstate your license suspension, you can do this at the registry. A license reinstatement fee will apply, ranging from $50 to $250, which must be paid in person.

Replacement Drivers License

You’re on business or vacation and you’re in a panic because your driver’s license is expired. Don’t fret, you can apply for a Condition Code F Service, and you’ll get your new license in a few weeks. Fill out the 2 page Renewal/Replacement License form to get started. You can submit the form by walking in our registry or via email.

Get Started | Email Us

What if you have lost your driver’s license or your wallet was stolen?

A lost or stolen license can be a pain. Go straight to Riverbend Registry to get your replacement license before you get pulled over by the cops and have to pay a hefty fine. Remember to bring a piece of I.D. with you, such as a birth certificate or passport.

Out-of-Province/Country License Exchanges

You have moved to a new province in Canada or from another country and want to exchange your license so you can explore your new city. Within Canada, it’s a fairly easy process. You will need your driver’s license and proof of residency documents, including a recent utility bill, a credit card statement or something similar. If you’re not sure what to show, call our friendly staff at Riverbend Registry and they’ll be more than happy to help you out. If you’ve just moved to Alberta from another country, it can be a lengthier wait for a license. You may be treated as a new driver and have to start from the beginning. Alberta’s Reciprocal Licensing Agreements exists for some countries, including all Canadian jurisdictions and territories. For more information, read the Factsheet: Reciprocal/Non-Reciprocal Licensing for Out of Country Drivers. Happy driving!

Open Road View

Corporate Driver

Drivers Abstract

Are You a professional driver (truck driver, delivery driver, etc.), or do you own a company that needs reliable drivers? Whether you need to request a standard abstract or a commercial driver’s abstract, we’ve got you covered. An abstract is chock full of useful information on every driver in Alberta, including suspensions, demerit points, a driver’s address, and status of the driver’s license over the past three, five, or 10 years. Employers will request a commercial abstract to assess safety issues of the driver. At Riverbend Registry, we understand you’re busy and need to get things done. Bring your driver’s license or one piece of government approved I.D. in person to the registry office to request an abstract. For detailed information on how to order, what to bring, and any other questions, please call our expert agents at Riverbend before you head out the door.

Let’s Chat | Give Us a Call Today!