Complete Vehicle Registration Services in Edmonton

Did you know that registering your car is legally required in Alberta? The penalty for driving an unregistered vehicle is a minimum fine of $230 – a much more costly fee than the registration itself. And the last thing you want to hear is “license and registration, please” if you’re ever pulled over for any reason while driving an unregistered car.

The sole purpose of car registration is to pay a fee to the province you live in that allows the province to keep track of vehicles on the road. It acts as proof that you legally own the vehicle. In this article, we break down what you can expect with vehicle registration services in Edmonton so the process is easy to understand and goes smoothly.

When to register your car in Edmonton

You’ll need to register your vehicle if:

  • Your current vehicle registration has expired. The expiry date is based on your surname – if you’re ever unsure, you can check Alberta’s vehicle registration expiry chart here. As of April 1, 2016, the Alberta government no longer sends out reminder letters for registration renewal.
  • You’ve bought a new or pre-owned vehicle.
  • You’ve moved to Alberta from a different province or country with a grace period of 90 days.

Vehicle registration services in Edmonton

There are a few different types of registration services available to you.

  • Brand New Registration – If you’re a new driver or you’ve bought your first vehicle, be sure to bring proof of ownership such as a bill of sale, proof of valid insurance (pink card), and acceptable ID such as your license. The insurance must be under the name of the person registering the vehicle.
  • Registration Renewal – If your renewal is straightforward, you may be able to complete your vehicle registration renewal online. If any of your information has changed, such as your address, you’ll need to come into our registration offices to complete your renewal.
  • Registration Cancellation – To cancel your registration, you’ll need to fill out a Licence Plate/Parking Placard Cancellation Form. You can visit our registry to process the information or send it through the mail.
  • Transfer of Registration Renewal – When you need to transfer your current registration to a new or pre-owned vehicle, you can assign your registration and license plate to your new car or apply for a new registration and plate.
  • Temporary Permits – If you need to drive your new car to an inspection facility, we can issue a temporary in-transit permit so you can get to your destination. Be sure to bring proof of ownership, your pink slip, and an acceptable ID.
  • Personalized Plates – We can process a request for personalized license plates that are appropriate and non-offensive.
  • Disability Placards – We issue temporary, long-term, and permanent disability parking placards for people who can’t walk more than 50 metres or 164 ft.
  • Antique Car – To be considered an antique car, the vehicle must be over 25 years old and operated as a collector’s item. It cannot be the main vehicle you drive.

What you need to register your car in Edmonton

Drivers must be 18 years of age or older to register a vehicle by themselves in Alberta. For drivers under 18, they must have consent from a parent or legal guardian to register a car for the first time. When registering a vehicle, you’ll need:

  • Proof of ownership, such as a lease, bill of sale, probated will or letters of administration.
  • Proof of valid insurance for the vehicle. Insurance must be under the name of the person registering the vehicle.
  • Acceptable identification.

If you’re registering a vehicle purchased outside of Alberta but within Canada, you’ll need to provide one of the following depending on the type and status of your vehicle:

  • Out-of-province inspection
  • A salvage inspection
  • Commercial inspection

If you’re registering a vehicle purchased outside of Canada, you’ll need to provide:

  • Proof of ownership for the vehicle
  • An out of province, salvage or commercial inspection
  • For new vehicles: a New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS or E-NVIS) or Certificate of Origin
  • A completed Transport Canada Vehicle Import form – Form 1, Vehicle Import form – RIV, Vehicle Import form – RIV exempt, or letter from an authorized pre-clearance importer

If you find yourself in a unique situation or you’re unsure about the paperwork you need to complete, give us a call or visit us at Riverbend Registry and we can help you find a solution.