Do I Need a Special License to Drive an RV or Motorhome?

You’ve purchased a brand new RV and are excited to get it on the road for new adventures. Or maybe you’re planning a trip and are looking to rent an RV or motorhome. The question is – do you need a special license to drive an RV in Canada?

In general, you can drive an RV or motorhome in all provinces with a standard driver’s license. You don’t need any special license to operate a motorhome.

With that said, depending on the weight of the vehicle, there are some specific RV license requirements to keep in mind. Check-in with one of your local Edmonton registries to make sure that you have the requirements covered.

What type of RV or motorhome can I drive or tow?

In each province, a standard license allows you to drive:

• Travel Trailers
• Class A Motorhomes (Airbrake excluded)
• Class B Motorhomes
• Class C Motorhomes
• Fifth Wheel

Are there any exceptions to driving an RV or motorhome with a standard license?

While in most cases, you won’t need to worry about meeting any specific motorhome license requirements, there are some instances that will call for it.

Depending on weight, there are some motorhomes that require a special class of license to be able to drive the rig such as a vehicle that weighs more than 26,000 pounds or one that’s built to carry more than 16 passengers. Additionally, a Class A motorhome with the airbrake included requires an airbrakes license to operate.

Before you purchase or rent a large RV or motorhome, inquire with a vehicle registry in Edmonton to confirm any special licenses required to operate your vehicle.

What if I have an international license?

If you are an international traveller coming to Canada, you’re able to rent an RV if you have your full driver’s license for more than 8 years from where you reside.


If you’re unsure whether or not your RV or motorhome will require a special license for you to drive, contact a reputable vehicle registry office in Edmonton.

Riverbend Registry can help you with all of your vehicle registration and licensing needs. Call us today with any questions – we are happy to help!