In recent times, an increasing number of fake registry websites have popped up claiming to offer online license plate renewals. These websites posing as official registry services can take you down a dangerous road, bringing consumers to:
• Share information that makes customers vulnerable to identity theft
• Provide credit card numbers and social insurance numbers
• Overpay for driver’s license applications and license plate renewals
How to avoid license plate renewal scams
Officials are urging the public to avoid suspicious websites that collect illegal personal information that could end up in the wrong hands. To help, Riverbend Registry is providing the following tips for those who are looking to use online registry services:
• Always verify the URL and if you’re unsure, contact your local registry
• Never provide your social security number
• Online license plate renewals will never ask for the year, make or model of your vehicle
Find out if you can renew online
If you want to take advantage of online registry services, the best way to ensure that your sensitive information is protected is to get in contact with your local registry in Edmonton. An official representative can help guide you to the right website and give you more information on the paperwork that you’ll need.
To qualify for online registrations, here are some policies to be aware of:
• You’ll need a valid Class 3 passenger vehicle – including cars, light trucks, vans, motorcycles, or motorhomes
• Your vehicle is not registered as a fleet or company vehicle
• You’ve had no address change
• Your registration has not been expired for more than 2 months
• You want to renew your vehicle registration for one year
Processing your license place renewal with Riverbend Registry
Riverbend Registry is a safe and secure way to renew your registration online. For official online license plate renewal services, be sure to have your insurance information on hand.
If you don’t feel comfortable completing your license plate renewal online, visit us at one of our locations and one of our friendly staff members can assist you.